Monday, April 22, 2013

Banana Ice Cream

I ALWAYS have frozen bananas in my freezer. Therefore, I ALWAYS have banana ice cream. You guys I feel silly even calling this a recipe because there's really only one ingredient..you guess it..BANANAS!

Ice cream is pretty much one of my favorite things in the whole world. I can't really think of a flavor that I don't like...well there's...nope nevermind.. I like them all. And believe me, I indulge in some Ben & Jerry's from time to time (Phish Food is my fave:)). But I definitely don't have it everday, or even every week. So when I'm craving ice cream and Phish Food isn't on the menu, this is a great go-to dessert recipe. So, when your bananas are about to go off (so nice and spotty, no green bananas for this recipe), just peel them and chunk them up. Toss them in a container in the freezer and voila! You can make banana ice cream any time!

Directions:
When you're ready for ice cream, take your frozen bananas out of the freezer. Make sure they are good and frozen when you make this, otherwise the heat of the machine will melt the ice cream. I find that about 1 per person is just right. Throw them in your food processor or Vitamix if you have one. I make mine in my Ninja and it works great. Pulse them at first, and then scrape down the sides. Now turn the machine on and let 'er rip! Scrape down the sides as needed and let it blend until the bananas reach the consistency of soft serve ice cream. I know! Crazy! But they really do become the texture of soft-serve! And don't worry if you don't really like bananas because strangely enough, it ends up not tasting banana-y.

From here, you can flavor it up any way you like. You can add some vanilla in, which is my personal fave. You can add in some cocoa powder for a chocolatey ice cream. You can mix in some raspberries or strawberries. Squeeze in some orange juice and vanilla for a creamsicle flavor. You can stir in some almond butter..OR you could do cocoa powder AND almond butter and it would be divine! The possibilites are endless really. Try it out! It's pretty amazing. 

*Please use organic ingredients when possible. 

www.facebook.com/happyhealthnut

No comments:

Post a Comment