Friday, April 5, 2013

Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

There is just something about the smell of chocolate chip cookies baking away that instantly takes me back to my childhood. We didn't bake a whole lot growing up in my family, but a few times a year my mom and I would make the delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe from the back of the Nestle Tollhouse bag of chocolate chips. And since we only made them once in a while, we always made a double batch. They turned out delicious everytime, and I knew that for the next few days (because that's as long as they lasted) I could look forward to cookies and milk for breakfast. Super healthnutty, I know. Now that I have a family of my own, I like to bake yummy treats for them, but I always try to omit the refined grains and sugars. That way, I can make tasty baked goods more often and feel better about it. So while I definitely do not make these cookies very often, I think they're still a big step-up from the old-school Nestle Tollhouse recipe (which is delicious, but not nutritious). Oh but don't get it twisted- if somebody offers me a good old fashioned Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate chip cookie, I'm going to take it and enjoy it. I'm all about balance friends. Mine are just as good though, if not better. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
-2 cups almond flour
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-pinch of sea salt
-1/3 cup raw honey
-1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil (or butter if you prefer)
-1 tbsp (yes tablespoon) vanilla extract
-2 eggs
-3/4 cup to 1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
-Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
-In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt your coconut oil and honey until just liquified. Set aside to cool.  *Your honey will be solid at room temp if you are using raw honey as I recommend, which is why it's necessary to melt it.
-In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Mix well with a fork, making sure to get out all of the lumps.
-In a separate mixing bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, and cooled honey/coconut oil mixture. Whisk well to combine.
-Combine the wet ingredients with the dry until well incorporated. Fold in your chocolate chips. These are to taste. We like ours super extra chocolate-y so I use a full cup.
-Drop the batter onto a baking sheet- about a golf ball size. These spread quite a bit so make sure to leave lots of room in between. Bake for 11-13 minutes until golden brown on top.
-Let cool (if you can wait that long) and enjoy!

*A note on chocolate chips- You can use the good old stand-by Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chips, but there goes the whole no-refined-sugar thing. You can also find some really great brands of chocolate chips in the organic section of your grocery story that do not contain refined sugars, but they may run you upwards of $6 per bag, so there goes your budget. You make the call. No judgement here. I'll never know.

*Please use organic ingredients when possible.

www.facebook.com/happyhealthnut

No comments:

Post a Comment