Friday, May 3, 2013

Basil Aioli

We eat mayo so infrequently in our home that it's really not worth even having on hand. I do however, always have the ingredients on hand to make my own aioli. So on the rare occasion that we have a recipe or meal that calls for a creamy condiment, I go to this aioli. The basil is optional. You can omit it and subsitute roasted garlic or roasted red pepper or whatever you like. This is really just a method. Before I made it I had this idea that it was this complicated emulsion process and it probably wouldn't turn out. I was so wrong. It takes about 2 minutes and turns out beautifully everytime. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
-1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk
-1/2 tsp dijon mustard
-juice of 1 lemon
-sea salt to taste
-1/2-3/4 cup oil. I used extra virgin olive oil. This is a pretty strong taste to a lot of people. You can use a different type. Coconut oil works fine, but you may get a coconut taste to your aioli. You could use sesame oil. You can use a combo of oils. Whatever you like. It's up to you.
-1 cup packed basil leaves

Directions:
-Place your eggs, dijon, lemon juice and sea salt in the food processor or blender. I used my Ninja. Pulse a few times to combine.
-With the motor running, very slowly stream in your oil. Let the motor run for 1 to 2 minutes or until your aioli thickens to a consistency you like.
-Add in your basil and blend until incorporated. Taste for seasoning and adjust. Enjoy!

Store in an airtight container for up to a month in the fridge.

*Please use organic ingredients when possible.

www.facebook.com/happyhealthnut

No comments:

Post a Comment