Tuesday, May 14, 2013

How to make Coconut Flour

If you've been following me for a bit, you probably know that I love coconut in pretty much all of it's various forms, so I'm always looking for ways to use it. That includes coconut flour. It's a great grain-free substitute for white or wheat flour that can be easily incorporated into your baked goods. However, coconut flour can be a little costly, along with everything else touted as "healthy". So there are a couple of things that I do to save money. 1) I try to make as much as I can at home, from scratch. Generally, things you make yourself are going to be cheaper because you don't pay for things like extra packaging, middlemen and mark-up. 2) I try to reduce my waste as much as possible. For instance, I don't throw away the stems of my mushrooms. I freeze them and store them in the freezer for my next batch of stock. I don't throw away the tops to my carrots. I juice them! And I do NOT throw away the pulp from my Homemade Coconut Milk! I make coconut flour!

1 comment:

  1. so what is your procedure for making coconut flour from the leftover pulp?

    ReplyDelete