Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Slow-Cooker Beef Stroganoff

Some of my favorite recipes are classic comfort foods that I've made over into what I feel is a healthier version. This way I can enjoy the good old midwestern foods that I grew up on more often! Beef Stroganoff is one of those classics and it's also one of my husband's favorite meals. Traditionally this dish is quite heavy and includes ingredients such as white flour and pasturized sour cream and then is served over egg noodles. So of course, I set out to create an easy-to-make, healthier Beef Stroganoff and I succeeded! At least my husband says so, which means a great deal to me. In fact, he said it was ALMOST as good as his mother's. Now that's pretty impressive because it's always hard to replicate a dish that you grew up on and have it successfully invoke those nostalgic feelings. That, and because his mother used cream of chicken soup in hers!

I served this stroganoff over whole grain fusilli (just because I knew my hubby would want pasta with it) but you can feel free to serve it over brown rice. Or, to make this Paleo friendly, you can serve it over zucchini noodles, some green beans, or grilled portabella mushrooms. All would be equally delicious!

Ingredients:
-2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
-2 medium onions, diced
-2 lbs crimini or button mushrooms, sliced
-3 cloves of garlic, minced
-2 tbsp dijon mustard
-2 tbsp werchestershire sauce
-3/4 cup coconut milk (here's how to make your own).
-3/4 cup beef stock
-1/2 to 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt (here's how to make your own)
-sea salt and pepper to taste
-1/2 cup slivered almonds (optional)

Directions:
-Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium high heat on the stove. Season with sea salt and pepper. This first step is optional, but it only takes a few minutes, and it really adds to the flavor of the dish. However, if you're in a hurry, you can go ahead and skip it and just add the beef directly to the slow cooker.
-While beef is browning, place your dijon and werchestershire sauce in the bottom of the crock pot and stir it up to combine.
-Add in the onions, mushrooms and garlic.
-When the beef is browned, add it to the crock pot. Another bonus of browning it seperately is that you can discard the grease or save it for another use and it doesn't end up in your dish.
-Add in the coconut milk and beef stock. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well until everything is combined.
-Put the lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
-When you're about ready to serve, take the lid off and turn the crockpot off. You need to let it cool off for about 15 minutes before you add in the yogurt, else it will curdle. If you're skipping dairy these days, omit the yogurt alltogether and it will still be delicious!
-In the mean time, brown up the almond slices in a skillet with some butter until deeply golden. This step is also optional. I had never had beef stroganoff with almonds on it until my mother-in-law served it to me that way and I have to say it's delicious. It adds a great crunchiness to the dish.
-Also during this time, prepare whatever you intend to serve it with, whether it be rice, pasta, green beans, etc.
-When the dish has cooled slightly, stir in the yogurt (if using). Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Enjoy!



www.facebook.com/happyhealthnut

No comments:

Post a Comment