Sunday, March 24, 2013

Homemade Vanilla Bean Creamer


Are you the type that likes a little coffee with their creamer? Well don't feel too bad, you're not alone. I'm a black coffee drinker myself, but my husband loves his vanilla creamer. Unfortunately, the stuff you find in the grocery store comes with some less than ideal ingredients- high fructose corn syrup, artifical sweeteners, artifical flavors and MSG are just a few. So I make my homemade Vanilla Bean Creamer. To be honest, I feel a little silly even calling it a recipe. It's so easy. This is a very basic recipe but you can flavor it a million different ways. This particular recipe is made with cow's milk and cream. Alternately you could most definitely substitute out the dairy with my homemade almond milk recipe. This creamer tastes just as good, if not better than the chemical laced stuff you get at the store. Give it a try!
Ingredients:
-1 cup whole milk
-1 cup half and half
-1 vanilla bean (split down the middle, scrape out the black stuff-use that and the pod)
-4 tbsp pure mable syrup

-Place all of the ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat on the stove and heat until you see steam coming off the top and a skin forms.
-Let cool off the heat. Pour through fine mesh seive into a masor jar or other airtight container and store in the fridge for up to two weeks.

*Please use all organic ingredients when possible
Oh and by the way you can use any kind of vanilla b
ean but I had madagascar on hand so that's what I used.

Like I said, you can totally vary this any way you like. It's too easy NOT to make. Let me know how it turns out!

2 comments:

  1. I have been making my own creamer for about a year now (so much better!) but I haven't been making it on the stove. This is the recipe I have used:
    • 14oz sweetened condensed milk (or sub below)
    • 1 cup milk
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla paste

    Sweetened Condensed Milk
    o 1 cup dry milk
    o 2⁄3; cup sugar or maple syrup
    o 1⁄3; cup boiling water
    Put ingredients in blender and whip until smooth.

    I will have to try your recipe too! Thank you for an alternative that looks really simple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey StephanieH. I'm sorry I don't know why I didn't see your comment until now! Anyhow, your recipe sounds great!

      Delete