Sunday, March 24, 2013

Homemade Date Sweetened Almond Milk


I LOVE almond milk. I'm not a huge milk drinker, and almond milk is a great healthful alternative to cow's milk if you have allergies or avoid dairy. Since it's so easy to make, I prefer to make my own. You never know what you will get when you buy it in the store. Almond milk often has all kinds of added sugars, "natural flavors", and rubbish fillers that I just don't want or need. 

Most store bought almond milks contain carrageenan, a substance derived from red algae and commonly used to emulsify and improve the texture of food. Carrageenan is known to promote inflammation in the body and is also linked to gastrointestinal cancers in rats. We don't know about it's effects on humans with regards to cancer because it hasn't been tested- but it is in EVERYTHING. My Homemade almond milk is tasty, easy to make, and I know exactly what's in it.

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight in filtered water, then drained and rinsed
-2 cups filtered water
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-2 dates

Directions: 

 Place almonds and water in a blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes or until it resembles milk.
 Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve and push all of the milk through.
 Pour the milk back in the blender and add the vanilla and dates. Blend until smooth, about another 2 minutes
 Pour the mixture into a nutmilk bag and let drain until all of the liquid is out. If you don't have a nut milk bag, cheesecloth works or you can even just pour it back through the sieve. Enjoy!

P.S. Don't throw away the pulp! There are lots of great things you can do with it. I'll let ya know what I do with mine.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to try this, but first I have a couple of questions...1. How long does this keep/stay fresh? 2. Did you post somewhere about what to do with the pulp? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete