Friday, March 8, 2013

Chocolate Almond Energy Bites


My absolute favorite cookie ever is a delicious, chewy no-bake cookie. My grandmother makes the BEST no-bake cookies, as I'm sure everyone's grandma does! I remember watching her make them when I was little. The smell of cocoa and peanut butter filled the house! And the best part was, we didn't even have to wait for them to bake! But the few minutes it took for them to set was pure torture.She always made her recipe look so easy! 

But unfortunately this was one recipe that I just could not replicate! No matter how many times I tried, it never worked for me! Either I boiled them too long and ended up with little rock piles (albeit tasty rock piles) or I didn't boil them long enough and they didn't set up at all!

So, since I couldn't seem to master the no-bake cookie, I decided to make a no-cook no-bake version. Same flavors, same chewy texture, but no boiling. And while I'm at it, how about adding in some nutrition, and omitting some not-so-nutritious stuff. You know that's how I roll. 

These Chocolate Almond Energy Bites are my homage to the no-bake cookie. They're sweet, chewy, delicious and packed with protein to help keep you energized all day long! Enjoy!
   
Ingredients:
1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats (soaked)
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup flax meal
1/3 cup honey or pure maple syrup
1/4 cup hemp seeds
3 tbsp almond butter
1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, melted just until liquified
1 tbsp raw cacao (you may use cocoa if you don't have cacao)

Directions:
To soak your oats, place them in a bowl with enough water to dampen them. They shouldn't be completely submerged. Add in 1 tbsp of either lemon juice, whey, or apple cider vinegar. Cover and leave on the counter for 12-24 hours. 
Mix the soaked oats, coconut flakes, flax, cacao and hemp in a mixing bowl until well incorporated.
Stir in the honey or maple syrup, almond butter, and coconut oil until everything is distributed.
Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes then roll into whatever size bites you like.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week.




No comments:

Post a Comment